SES’ JP Hemingway on satellites’ function within the digital divide, D2D and disasters
WASHINGTON Eventually week’s Satellite tv for pc 2023 present, one of many subjects on everybody’s thoughts was the way forward for direct-to-device (D2D) communications. However at the least one world satellite tv for pc operator, SES, is taking a wait-and-see strategy.
“We’re watching that house actually rigorously. We’re not energetic in it right now,” stated SES Chief Technique Officer JP Hemingway in a dialog with Mild Studying. “I believe the issues that must get sorted are the funding mannequin,” in addition to potential enterprise fashions, he stated. “I do not assume emergency SOS textual content is what that is all about.”
We additionally caught up with Hemingway about SES’ deployments of middle-Earth orbit (MEO) and geostationary (GEO) satellite tv for pc connectivity to unserved world communities, tips on how to speed up secure satellite tv for pc deployments in catastrophe zones and rather more.
Listed below are some subjects mentioned on this dialog:
- Temporary replace on SES’ mPower O3b constellation, “coming to market in Q3” (0:21)
- Why SES is ready earlier than getting into the D2D house (2:00)
- The place and the way SES is delivering satellite tv for pc protection to unserved communities (4:25)
- How fashionable satellite tv for pc connectivity compares to fiber (6:40)
- How SES works with telco companions to ship connectivity to catastrophe zones (10:00)
For a calmly edited dialog transcript, click on the caption button on the video participant above.
— Nicole Ferraro, editor, Mild Studying, and host of “The Divide” on the Mild Studying Podcast.